Tuesday, November 08, 2022

I Spent 10 Days in a Secret Chinese Covid Detention Centre

Thomas Hale’s account of his experience in a COVID-19 quarantine facility, inside China’s zero-Covid regime, offers a glimpse into an eerie, dystopian parallel world.

The daily rhythm went as follows. Early in the morning, we awoke to a lawnmower-like noise, which was in fact an industrial-grade disinfectant machine spraying our windows and front steps. Meals were provided at 8am, noon and 5pm. Around 9am, two nurses in blue hazmat suits came by to administer PCR tests. Once, I asked if I would be taken somewhere else if I tested positive. “Of course you’ll be taken away!” one of the nurses said. “A new life!” she added in English.

The post I Spent 10 Days in a Secret Chinese Covid Detention Centre appeared first on Longreads.



from Longreads https://ift.tt/cTzVl1s
via IFTTT