Monday, April 01, 2024

Remembering Bob the Elk: What the Life and Death of a B.C. Town’s Beloved Neighbour Can Teach Us

Bob, age 15, was a member of the Roosevelt herd of elk living among the people of Youbou, British Columbia. For writer Emma Gilchrist and her husband, he symbolized a fresh start after a serious of personal losses. After Bob was killed in mysterious circumstances, Gilchrist investigated, learning some surprising truths about the unlikely and uneasy coexistence of wildlife and humans in her Vancouver Island community.

When Stokes spoke at Bob’s memorial, she didn’t mince words. “I fed Bob,” she said. “I’ve never kept it quiet.” While she’s sad not to see her constant companion any more, Stokes is crystal clear on one thing: “I’m never gonna feed another wild animal again.”

She went on to describe how feeding him led to her being a prisoner in her own home for years. “Bob knew the sound of my car, the locking mechanism. I’d get out of my car and he’s right there.” Getting in and out of her house became difficult. She couldn’t even walk across the street to the coffee shop.

A new proposed regulation could mean a fine for anyone caught feeding elk and deer in an urban setting on Vancouver Island. “Let’s keep them all skittish,” Stokes said. “If I see people [feeding elk], I will report them.”

For my part, after weeks of speaking to experts and locals trying to make sense of Bob’s death, I’ve started to come to peace with how the old guy left us. In the wild, an ailing elk would likely be killed by predators, and that’s not exactly a pleasant way to go either.

When I think back on my limited time knowing Bob, I feel wistful. Some days I like to believe the way he graced us with his presence on our first day in our home really was a good omen, but other days I know he was simply a habituated geriatric elk looking for food.

*This story was co-published with The Globe and Mail.



from Longreads https://ift.tt/EMwDacS

Check out my bookbox memberships! 3, 7, or 15 vintage books a month sent to organization of your choice, or to yourself!
https://ift.tt/orsBe1x