Wednesday, August 23, 2023

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh

Werner Herzog gives a fascinating account of the time he spent in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Larger-than-life characters and unwise adventures keep you gripped with every word.

There were occasional bizarre scenes. The mother fed her son as if he were a little kid. More precisely, she made him eat green Jell-O, and she started to think of me as someone who might also benefit from it. I ate it uncomplainingly. This motif surfaced many years later, in my film “My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done,” where the protagonist, played by Michael Shannon, is covered in Jell-O by his mother, as if it were war paint. He ends up playing the part of Orestes in a theatre production, failing to keep performance separate from reality, and killing his mother with a stage prop, a Turkish sabre.



from Longreads https://ift.tt/DXyHFx1

Check out my bookbox memberships! 3, 7, or 15 vintage books a month sent to organization of your choice, or to yourself!
https://ift.tt/gRSxk8A