Monday, August 14, 2023

‘Move forward. Flap around a little!’ How learning to swim in my 50s set me free

A beautiful homage to swimming. Diane Mehta explores what swimming means to her, alongside some keen observations of those she shares the pool with.

I observed other swimmers intensely, memorising their moves, admiring their technique, and I probably seemed a little creepy. Instead of dreading the hard slap of cold water, I let it flow over me and refused to tense my shoulders. I told myself that, like ice, the water would help prevent migraines. When I pushed off the edge, I said to myself, “blue”, like a mantra key to the sublime. My mind emptied when I was submerged. Time was blue. My old friend who died was blue and every day she met me there underwater. Thinking got left behind as I entered the thrill of that quiet blue world.



from Longreads https://ift.tt/qXurt1E

Check out my bookbox memberships! 3, 7, or 15 vintage books a month sent to organization of your choice, or to yourself!
https://ift.tt/6DeCSuf