Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Deleting Delusions

Many people have turned their back on social media. Nearly as many have written about it. But for her rendition of the Digital Detox Boogie, Melody Moezzi draws on her experience with bipolar disorder, subtly linking her pre-diagnosis patterns to the deceptions we burrow into in the name of online “connection.”

I genuinely believed that my posts, tweets, likes, and retweets and the blue check mark on my account actually meant something, that all the followers I’d amassed proved that I was worthy and important. I also embraced the delusion that social media was vital to my personal and professional success as a writer and activist. Without it, I was sure I’d miss out on parties, protests, and publishing contracts. Yet an honest accounting forced me to admit that my ability to party, protest, and publish has been far more enfeebled than enabled by social media. In short, I haven’t built my career on posts, tweets, and feeds. I’ve built it on books, essays, and speeches. And I haven’t built my strongest communities on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I’ve built them on porches, around firepits, and under the stars.



from Longreads https://ift.tt/a1GSfZg

Check out my bookbox memberships! 3, 7, or 15 vintage books a month sent to organization of your choice, or to yourself!
https://ift.tt/9WNwzgL